Monday, October 20, 2014

New volunteer in Kalamata: Ina from Germany


 

Hello, my name is Ina and I am from Germany. I will stay here in Kalamata as a long-term volunteer until next summer.  I arrived six days ago and I was the first volunteer to come.
On Thursday I arrived in the morning , Jelena picked me up at the airport and we had a brekfast coffee in the centre of the city together. She explained me what the tasks of the volunteers in the youth centre would be and she told me when the other volunteers would come. Then she showed me the youth centre.
Afterwards I had some time to unpack and just arrive in the volunteer house in the city centre before in the evening I met Jelena again. We went to  a little bar at the seaside. To me, Kalamata beach is very beutiful. I come from a place were to go to the seaside you must travel at least six hours, so you can not imagine how happy I am to live at the seaside now.
On friday I came to the youth centre in the morning. It is only five minutes to go from the apartment, however I was a bit proud that I found it immediately without getting lost =)
I spent some time just informing my relatives that I am fine and then I left in order to go to the seaside again. That day, I spent alone, because next volunteer, Agnieszka, just arrived in the evening. I was happy that another volunteer came and when we met I was also happy because we  get along very well.

In Kalamata, there are quite some nice places. Apart from the seaside, they also have a realy nice park and the historical centre is great, too. In the first two days we did not go inside  a bar but we just went around to discover the environment. Expect from Sunday the streets are crowded in the evening because many people go out in order to meet friends very often instead of staying at home. Even children can stay outside very long.
Also during the day Kalamata is a lively city. I love spending time outside and being surrounded by the Greek life and language. As I only knew one month before, that I would come here, unfortunately I did not learn any Greek before. I know how to read the alphabet and some words and every day I am learning some more words.
I am looking forward to have Greek lessons soon.
As I just arrived a week ago for now I have  “only“ been in Kalamata but people tell us that there are many nice places around so that we are already planing to make a little journey this or next weekend.

No comments: