Sunday, September 16, 2012

2012-2013 EVS volunteers' first days in Kalamata!!!


My first week in Kalamata.

Manuela Gascon, France
Wednesday, 5th of September, after having taken 2 planes, 2 bus and walked I don’t even know how much time, I arrive in Kalamata.
One week ago, I didn’t know anything concerning Greece, concerning Kalamata, and concerning Greek language.
Today, more than seven days later, I know a lot of things:
-       There is an old castle in Kalamata
-       The streets of the town are really noisy during the night
-       I have to say “Kaliméra” when I meet someone, and “Yassou” when I leave him
-     People are not obliged to have a cask when they are on a motorbike (in my country, you can’t be on a motorbike without having a cask)
-       Feta is better here than somewhere else

Moreover, in only 7 seven days, I have gone to the old city of Kalamata, I have also gone to the beautiful beach of Galieva, and I have seen vestiges of Pylos fortress. I have also done hitch-hiking with the other volunteers in order to reach some places in the mountain.
I have also seen my first columns, in Ancient Messene. It was really impressive and incredible, I like this place.
I have visited 2 centers for children with disabilities, where volunteer people work. I was glad to discover these centers, I had never seen one of this kind in my country, and it had let me discover which way you have to use to communicate with handicapped children, it was really interesting.
Finally, I have also visited the archeological museum of Kalamata, really big, it contains a lot of different objects.

And now, I know how to go alone to the beach of Kalamata, I know where is the Post Office, I have located clothing stores which seems to be really nice for me.

So, it’s OK, I begin to feel really good in Kalamata, and in Greece more generally.

No comments: