Friday, November 3, 2017

MIRELLA KA: VOLUNTEERS HAVE A BUSY LIFE

It’s unbelievable how busy and diverse your program can be when you are a volunteer!
For example last Monday I attended all the classes that the Youth Center in Kalamata is running. I wanted to get an idea how it is before taking the decision for which one to subscribe. So in one day in a row, I took part in Yoga, Trash Art, Tai-Chi and Salsa for Beginners. Even if those activities are supposed to be for fun and relaxation, it was really tiring to focus on 4 different things for 5 hours!
Now I’m in the process of “exploring the new”, but honestly that requires a lot of energy!

My biggest discovery for this week is Kyttaro Bar! I’m so excited about it, because there I found one of my favorite things in life - Weiss beer, all kind of rock, reggae, ska, electro swing and very party environment…

Then, in the middle of the week something very interesting happened. It’s some of those meetings that are meant to happen, because they are already recorded in a parallel reality in the Universe, where there is no past, present and future, but time is ONE and it’s a matter of the perfect synchronized moment to be materialized on Earth.
So, a guy found me in a Facebook event of the Youth Center of Kalamata. We met during the presentation that one of the local hiking clubs - ΠεριηγητέςΜεσσηνίας-Messinian Travellers gave in the Kentro. As himself, he is a traveler, this guy was attracted by the name of the event, while he was passing through Kalamata during his trans-continental-for-several-months trip. In the beginning I wasn’t very sociable and not in the mood for talks because of the accumulated tiredness from the previous days, but then the vibes we exchanged were so peaceful and nice that we couldn’t stop talking and share experiences for hours. I prepared masala chai, and that’s how we discovered a common topic – about the rainbow gatherings. It was such a warm feeling that Universe sends me a “rainbow brother” here in my “new” life on the “new” place. The funny part is that on the last Rainbow Gathering that he has joined, he has met the same people that I did during the Balkan Rainbow. In those moments you remember how communication was happening before Facebook existed. As this guy travels a lot, constantly, which is like my biggest dream, the strongest message from our conversation that will stay forever in my mind is that when someone starts travelling around the world, in the beginning he/she is just a tourist and a traveler, but then later in time, they become a messenger. Because moving from one place to another, you always bring something to the new place, that you took from the previous one – an impression, a story, a memory, a daily life cultural-differences experience… and then from speechless traveler you become a storyteller who make the others travelling by their minds and that’s beautiful! To read the breathtaking stories about traveling, written by the Volunteers of Kalamata, take a look on our magazine LiNK here!


Another exciting moment from this week was my first Bulgarian language class for foreigners in Kentro Neon Kalamatas. Not surprisingly I started the class by showing to my students the Cyrillic alphabet and joking that if Cyril and Methodius hadn’t invented it 11-12 centuries ago, now neither me I would suffer to study Greek, neither them to study Bulgarian, but that’s how it is. If people from Kalamata would like to have fun with me and a language where „З“ and „Ч“ are not numbers, but letters, you are very welcome to join my workshop!

  I just wanna mention that I really love working in a “volunteer’s” atmosphere! There is no other place, job or activity that I could compare with the energy, enthusiasm and freshness of the volunteer’s vibes! And then of course the productivity gets higher than in a “normal” environment. 

Like this Friday. Look at these photos and tell me isn’t it like the paradise of the working process? We have a wall full of notes with ideas and plans for future activities.   




No comments: