Monday, August 19, 2013

Welcome to the Hotel Kalamata

Dia dhaoibh! Fiachra McKeever is ainm dom agus είμαι από την Ιρλανδία.

So.... my first days in Kalamata have been fairly intense. From the moment Dorian, Hippolyte and Melina collected me and Lina from the bus station up until now my mind has been flooded with fresh sights, new faces, crippling heat and frappes.

Being from Ireland, where all we talk about is the weather, the first thing that hit me (like a ton of bricks!) was the heat! Although I had mentally prepared as much as one could, my pale skin was in no way ready for the desert highway it was to experience. With any luck, before the end of my tenure here, all my freckles will join together and I'll be bronzing nicely! Once I got over the heat my attention quickly turned to other things. I noticed how friendly and smiley the people here are. Very nice, keen to help in any way and also in possession of a great sense of humour!  

When we got to the apartment, I was pleasantly surprised by the size of it. And the fact that there were balconies! "I could definitely get used to this!" I thought! After Dorian took us for food at M.a.m we went to the youth centre for a going away party for some of the other EVS volunteers who had been here. There I met a whole host of friendly and animated people, all having great craic. We drank beer and Irish whiskey and I went home at some unholy hour in an equally unholy state! Καλώς ήλθατε στην Καλαμάτα o Fiachra!!

When we got to the apartment, I was pleasantly surprised by the size of it. And the fact that there were balconies! "I could definitely get used to this!" I thought! After Dorian took us for food at M.a.m we went to the youth centre for a going away party for some of the other EVS volunteers who had been here. There I met a whole host of friendly and animated people, all having great craic. We drank beer and Irish whiskey and I went home at some unholy hour in an equally unholy state! Καλώς ήλθατε στην Καλαμάτα o Fiachra!!

For the first few days Dorian, an EVS volunteer from the south of France, showed us the sights and sounds of Kalamata. He lit up a candle and showed us the way to the miles and miles of beach (a good man is Dorian!) as we soaked up the sun. We attended an anti-fascist gathering in the park next to the railroad cars, apparently quashing a Golden Dawn gathering that was supposed to be happening at the same time in the same place, met some nice new people, drank some beer and sampled some fruity ouzo. All in all a really nice, relaxing introduction to Kalamata and a beautiful few days.

But then of course, some 'work' had to be done. We had to go up to the mountains to a beautiful place with treehouses, an amphitheatre, breathtaking views of the city (and at night - the galaxy), nice people, gorgeous home-cooked Greek food and some good craic thrown in for good measure. Woe is me! :P All this was for the on-arrival seminar for the short-term EVS volunteers who were staying at the treehouses, and we were asked to participate also. It was 2 days of non-formal learning on the topic of EVS and it's practicalities. It was a lovely 2 days - see dedicated article!

We were also introduced to the youth centre. The office itself is an inviting place - a glass wall covered in colourful pictures from different events, projects and activities organised by the youth centre. We sat outside, enjoying the vibe of the square, playing guitar before siesta, inhaling iced coffee. Happy days. In the seconf week we were told we need a tour of the city and Bjartur was assigned as our tour guide. He instructed us to be at the youth centre at 10am Greek-time and he'd show us around; all the things we needed to see, and maybe some things we didn't! He showed us the castle, the old revolutionary church - where Greek independence was won, some lovely places for coffee, the bus routes, and other useful places to know like the Greek equivalent to IKEA, the Post Office and the bike shop.

After almost a week and a half in Kalamata I can say that I'm definitely getting used to the weather and am beginning to feel at home here. I've already met some fantastic people and I dread to think of how difficult it will be to leave. But as they say: we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, so I've to enjoy every day here as much as I can. Welcome to the Hotel Kalamata, such a lovely place, such a lovely face. Plenty of room at the Hotel Kalamata, what a nice surprise, come all my alibis! 

No comments: