Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Short EVS first impressions


As some of you already know for July 2013 21 young and cheerish volunteers com together to Kalamata to participate in Short EVS. As many of them are already here, let's listen what they have to say about life here:

Yana's impressions of Kalamata

Hi everybody!
I was very excited to come to Kalamata, because when I was reading about this program I immediately knew that I would like this. Things were not really prepared, but I’m always in for some adventure, so I packed my things in between all the other things I had to do the week before I left.
Our trip was ok, although we almost missed our flight because the guys really wanted to drink one last Belgian beer (Duvel). We were just relaxed, but when we realized it was almost time for our flight to leave we had to run like crazy, they were just closing the gate, we didn’t even leave yet and we already had some adventure. When we arrived at the hostel there were not a lot of people yet, but Loïc (one of the long term volunteers) took us to have some pita (they love pita over here, being a vegetarian in Greece is not easy I noticed, but the fruit and vegetables are so fresh and tasty, so I will be very fine).  Every day new people were arriving, I was always excited to see who would join the group.
The first days we did all kind of activities to get to know each other. Since day one we were all getting along very well, all the people are enthusiastic and open minded and wanting to make something unforgettable of this experience. We’re living together with a lot of people so of course there are sometimes some small issues, but I think everything is going quite well.
What I really love is the Greek sun, going for a swim in the sea, the smell of the bakery next door, the siestas, ‘zigga zigga’, the fact that people are gathering on the squares and at the beach every evening, always having somebody to talk to, hearing about other countries, talking about life with people from all over Europe, trying out the local drinks, going to the market to buy fresh fruits and vegetables and almost getting it for free, trying out some Greek words we learned, … .
And I’m surprised to be a victim of the Greek mosquitoes, in Belgium they don’t like me, but here they apparently love my blood. But of course they can’t stop me of having a great time over here.
I’m looking forward to the rest of my stay here, I’m sure it will be great!
________________________________________________________________________


First impresions of Anna

Bye Warsaw!
I catched hectically last stuff, without which I won’t survive next 5 weeks, to force them into my suitcase and check on the map what is my precise destination, hoping not to get lost in the meantime. 
Then I speeded for the plane to Athens through crowded streets of Warsaw.
Happily at the airport I met friends with whom I’m going to live and work during my whole project.
During the flight the stewardesses were constantly amusing us passing by with their meal carts.
Next stop: Αθήνα. The city welcomed us with warm setting sun. We travelled through pale streets and dried up landscape that resembled the realm of Hades. 
What’s the meaning of life (of a Greek)?
When you pass by each 5 km label EXODOS, it comes easy to start reflecting on postmortem life.
1 a.m. - finally at Kalamata. Welcomed by over-talkative French punk girl and more reserved but humorous Austrian guy, who wanted immediately to show us the whole town, even though it was solate, I only thought of getting some sleep. The nearby streets were full of life, people chatting at the square and drinking beer and a strange old dancing drunk guy.
Ti kanis;
Next day morning I saw a beautiful square filled with sun, surrounded by charming old buildings. I went down to the living room and met crazy people talking with different accents: Casanova guy, elf girl, guy showing constantly all his teeth in a big smile - it’s not gonna be boring here, I thought.



________________________________________________________________________


First Week by Edyta


Now, after listening stories about „flight adventures” of participants from France or Belgium (cancelled flight, running after a bus to the airport, almost missing the plane because of the last Belgium beer”),  my 20-hours lasting travel seems a very relaxing event. However, when I came to Kalamata I was very happy to get  my destination. The first what I have heart was that I will live in the apartment without connection to the internet, 40 minutes on foot to the place where everyday  activities take place. So it was really nice welcoming news. But how old (probably greek) proverb said, “every coin has two faces”, so everyday trip to the hostel is worth living 10 minutes from the beach.
First week in Kalamata was a mix of integrating activities, working during Miden Festival, getting know a little about Greek cuisine and language.  Common work in helping organizing festival, from one hand gave as possibility to get know us each other  better and have fun together, and on the other hand unique opportunity to  discover the world of video art, which for many of us was unknown.
And my the most important observations after this first week are:
1.    Definitely it is too hot here (but this is said that  is the mildest summer from 20 years)
2.    Greek people haven’t invite a sugar bowl yet (but on the other hand it is really interesting deciding about amount of sugar before tasting coffee)
3.    Greek Coffee in reality is Turkish (in this name we know it in Poland)
4.    Pita is the best economical choice for the breakfast, diner, lunch and supper. Sometimes also as a night snack.
 Έχετε μια μεγάλη EVS !  :)



No comments: