Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What do you think? - Interview with an EVS volunteer

YC (Youth Center): Please intorduce yourself in a few words.
Ece Basçi (EB): Με λενε Ece Basçi (ΕΤΖΕ ΜΠΑΣΤΖΙ). Ειμαι απο την Τουρκια. Ειμαι 24 χρονων :) I've just finished my study (economics) last year. I want to take the year of before I get a job. I wanted to improve my skills and english. And I decided to go abroad because I’ve never. I chosed to make my EVS. I am in volunteer in K.E.K.Y.K.Ame.A for 6 months (1 March-1 September).


YC: Do you like the voluntary service?
EB: I like the voluntary service. For me, it is the best choice I have ever decided. I meet lots of people all over Europe and there are lots of things to learn about life during the EVS. First of all you start to be more tolerant. And there are lots of ways to improve personality. I learn how to live without help from the family and to stay alone in the life. Last years I studied economics but I didnt want to start a job in this area. Now I know what to do after EVS. I want to work with children or disabled people when I get back to my country and I will continue to improve myself in this area. Moreover, EVS is a chance to learn new languges with intensive classes and local people. I love to learn Greek language. I know I did the best when I choosed Greece to make my EVS. I dont have any difficulties because I am from Izmir. We have lots of similarities... Climate,food, people... It is amazing to live similar things without family but feel like at home! :) I have to thank you everbody who makes me feel like at home, especialy our mentor Filaretos! :)

YC: What kinds of work are you participating in the Youth Center ?
EB: If I dont work and I dont have anything else to do, I am always in the YC. Because I love the atmosphere of our center. There are lots of people coming and we have different workshops. Firstly, in language exchange workshop I teach turkish to two greek people who wanted to learn it two times in a week. In the beginning it was so hard to teach my mother language. But now it is ok and it is so funny! And at eh same time they try to teach me greek. I also participate in Laszlo's "hand-made" workshop (bracelets,napkins technique,batik and candle) who is from Hungary. I love to create something and this workshop is the best for me. And I participate in the chess workshop with Jeronimo who is from Portugal. I have German language exchange with Marie too :)

YC: What four messages would you like to say to the greek youngsters?
EB: I think every young people should make EVS! It is a great chance to improve their personality. It is the best experience in the life. You have lots of friends all over the europe and that is good if you want to visit another country. :) There is no need to be shy because everbody knows you are in the different country so everbody tries to help if you have some difficulties or tries to make you happy if you are homesick. And it works!... :)

Thanks... ευχαριστω πολυ!

1 comment:

Nur Yamac said...

Χαίρετε! :)
Πώς είναι ο καιρός στην Καλαμάτα;
Yess, I really would like to join this team in Kalamata as soon as possible!!
Με τις καλύτερες μου ευχές !

Nur Yamac
EVS (AGH-der),TURKEY